Foundation Degree in Science in Fire Safety Engineering
The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), through the School of Continuing and Professional Education (SCOPE), City University of Hong Kong (CityU), is offering a part-time programme leading to the award of Foundation degree in Science in Fire Safety Engineering.
The Foundation Degree in Science in Fire Safety Engineering is accredited by the Energy Institute (EI) on behalf of the Engineering Council as partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer.
The Foundation Degree in Fire Safety Engineering at SCOPE, CityU also satisfies the academic requirements for Member Grade of the Institution of Fire Engineers (MIFireE).
This part-time programme, which consists of 13 modules (240 credits), takes 2 years to complete.
* The module combination and teaching sequence are subject to revision by UCLan.
Candidates should possess one of the following,
- Level 2 or above in 5 HKDSE subjects including Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics; or
- grade E in 1 HKALE subject; or E in 2 HKALE AS subjects, including Use of English; and E in 5 HKCEE subjects including English Language (Syllabus B); or
- an academic qualification from a local post-secondary institution (e.g. CityU SCOPE Certificate in Fire Science Studies) or a professional qualification acceptable to UCLan; qualifications attained by study at a local international school or a non-local high school, at Grade 12 or equivalent, are also acceptable; or
- UCAS 180 points at A2 level or the equivalent, plus 5 GCSE’s (including a numerate subject at Level C or above)
Mature applicants of at least 21 years of age, who have relevant work experience and commensurate background in mathematics and engineering, will be invited to attend an interview and written test.
Classes and Venue
Modules are arranged on weekday evenings and / or Saturday afternoons. Classes will mainly take place in SCOPE Tsim Sha Tsui East Learning Centre and teaching venues at Kowloon Tong.
Medium of Instruction
Foundation Degree in Science in Fire Safety Engineering is an exempted programme under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance (ref. number:451419). It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this programme may lead.